Thursday, March 26, 2009

School

Hi everyone!
First of all, thank you for reading our blog. It has been a really great way for us to think about what we saw each day and express our thoughts. This afternoon we had a really cool experience. In Anger, we visited a school. This was an open-air one room building. It was basically just poles holding up a tin roof. The look itself was strikingly different from our multiple buildings and air conditions rooms that we get to enjoy at Ellis. There were kids who were 6 to 18. One of the most surprising things about the kids were their size. I stood up and said I was 13, and then the other kids who were 13 also stood up. I was shocked. When I looked at them, I estimated that they would be about 10, they were so much smaller. The girls who were 16 and 17 looked more my size. The reason for this is because of the way they live. They explained to us that they don't have lunch at all, and when they go back home after school, there is often just no food at home. I really couldn't imagine what that was like. I don't think I have ever come home to no food. It is a constant question in their minds; how am I going to eat today? Something interesting that we noticed was that the average family size was eight people. Of the 6 children, maybe one or two could go to school. They were very shy at first, and also really polite. When we walked by, they stood up for us. They were so happy with the pencils and notebooks we handed out, it was so worth the trip to see their faces. This meeting was so rewarding that we are hoping to visit again!
Until then,
Erin

1 comment: