Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Saute D'Eau Waterfall


Today we went to a beautiful place called Saute D'Eau. This translates literally to Jump Water. We drove up an incredibly steep road to get there and it was well worth the trip. The waterfall was so stunning, The white water ran over steep slippery rocks. The trees surrounding it were lush and the place itself was just very interesting. This place is often used for VooDoo ceremonies. There are racks that hold candles and little holes in the tree with old wax in them. The candles are lit to scare away bad spirits during these ceremonies. There was also a really interesting tree branch that held many braided ropes. These ropes were put there by the people and they represented their dreams and hopes. The millions of ropes tied around the tree gradually wear off and carry ther wishes away. It reminded me a lot of the wish bracelets that we have in Pittsburgh. It was really interesting that this idea of representing your dreams coming true is universal. As I looked at the ropes I was reminded of my own hopes and aspirations. I could see why they would pick this beautiful place for their hopes to stay. I am looking forward to tomorrow! I hope that if you are reading this you will continue to follow us on this amazing trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment