Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Coming home

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much to everyone who's been reading so far. Well, we're back home, and I just have a few more concluding points I want to add to the blog before we stop posting.

Even after only a week in Haiti, coming back involved a little bit of culture shock. I was so used to always being the center of attention, having people stare at me because of the color of my skin. It was a bit of a relief coming back. After having to have other people talk to people for me, it was a little shocking to realize that people spoke English. It's hard to break the habit of saying "Mesi" instead of "Thank You." But there were changes, not only on that level. You look around the airport, full of mainly white English-speaking American citizens, and you think "I bet almost all of these people have a house and food to eat every day." They all have plenty of food, and a choice of it, as well as clean water right in their homes. In Haiti, it was common to have to walk more than a mile to find fresh water. I would be willing to bet that the people in the airport simply have to turn a knob. I bought a piece of pizza for about as much money as people in Haiti might make in a few weeks if they have a good job. I watched them drive off in their cars and think "They probably don't have to walk miles to go to market to make a small living of whatever they have." All of the tall glass buildings in the city loomed over me, and I remembered that in Haiti, there weren't any skyscrapers. As we enjoy the luxuries in our life, people there die of malnutrition. My trip to Haiti had a large impact on my perspective on life. It gave me a real appreciation for all the little extra things in life, things you now notice much more. I learned a lot through my experiences in Haiti. Overall, the trip was an incredible experience and I'm very grateful to every who made it possible.

Orevwa!


-Lily

4 comments:

  1. Lily--
    What a wonderful way to make sense of your feelings upon your return from Haiti. Isn't it interesting how you can get used to a place after such a short period of time? It's startling to rethink the things you need to feel at home somewhere, or what aspects of your life allow you to feel normal, or how close the other side of the world may be? I am so impressed with you guys, and how you were able to sift through all of these really difficult questions.
    U R AWESOME!!!
    <3 Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily, as always, you are so thoughtful about your experiences, and so reflective about what you see, and hear, and feel. Often, when we visit a place like Haiti, it is tempting to see that place as "other"...to come home and see that after such an experience, perhaps what we take for granted is, in fact, the "other".
    We hope you have the chance visit Deschapelles again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was visiting this site after a long absence and was reading your blog and I felt connected. I attended Chatham College (Pittsburgh) and visited Haiti in January 2002. I still have vivid memories of my time sped there.

    It was really difficult for me in many ways. I am from the Caribbean and as such heard about the difficulties that the Haitians experience.
    However being there, I just could not imagine and I felt responsible as a citizen of the Caribbean.
    After seven years my experience in Haiti still defines me and the strengt and courage of the people are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your nice posting.
    it is really helpful to us.
    such a nice topics.

    Bathmate

    ReplyDelete